The virucidal disinfectant: effective against all 18 virus families. The disinfectant in farming.Virkon cleanses all surfaces and materials on virucidal, bacterial, fungal base.
1) The disinfectant Virkon®S was re-evaluated by the University of Wageningen (CVI Lelystad) to accommodate new EU regulations for Salmonella monitoring. These tests are conducted with the use of EN1656 test protocols, in which these confirmed the effectiveness of Virkon®S 1% and 0.5% at a temperature of 10 degrees C against the five Salomonella types, appointed by the EU. These five Salmonella types are capable to create problems amongst the public health, namely: Salmonella enteritidis, Salmonella typhimurium, Salmonella Virchov, Salmonella infantis and Salmonella Hadar. In a previous investigation (2003) with the same test protocol proved to be effective against Salmonella parathypi B biovar Java.
Because of these excellent results, Virkon®S is the designated agent to use for a Salmonella control, as is proven in these EN tests, and at the use of the reduction of potential infectious Salmonella super strains.
2) Virkon®S as oxidizing disinfectant, is not associated with influencing the mechanism of the bacteria or bacterial wall and the development of Salmonella resistant strains by disinfectants and antibiotics.
3) For an effective routine in disinfecting, the veterinarian and technical experts of Dupont advise to review all cleaning and disinfection procedures on a regular base and change them if necessary. From wipe clean through hard to reach places like cracks and seems, and with the selection of the right cleaners and disinfectants, and with the correct dosages and properly applied. There has to be some extra care regarding the stable and the materials brought out by the cleaning. When these materials are placed inside the clean stable, contamination has to be prevented. This extra attention is also important for the watering system and feeding system which are easily forgotten.
Virkon®S is a product of Dupont™ and is legally applicable in the Netherlands and Belgium.
Virkon®S can be used against the fungus, Batrachochytriumdendrobatidis, which causes the skin disease chytridiomycose amongst amphibians. This fungus is spread through the use of items like: boots, nets and other materials which are used in the field. With a thorough cleansing and disinfection, contamination can be prevented.
Virkon®S is effective against the source of Q fever. Disinfectant Virkon®S proved to be effective against the bacteria that caused Q fever (CoxielaBrunetii). Q fever source is a Gram-negative bacterium which is very resistant to various disinfectants. Even the low temperatures outside during the winter season are of influence on the efficiency of these various disinfectants. Virkon®S proved to be effective and insensible to low temperatures.
Virkon®S has a very wide spectrum against, among others:
Bacteria: Staphylococcus aureus, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Mycobacterium spp (and other likeMycobaterium tuberculosis (3% concentrate)), Aeromonas, Bacillus, Bordetella, Erysipelothrix, Proteus, Escherichia Coli, Pasteurella, Salmonella, Streptococcus, Taylorella, Treponema, Vibrio, Renibacterium, Klebisiella, Shigella, Neisseria, Clostrudium, Haemophilus, Listeria, Yersinia and Campylobacter, and against the spores of Bacillus cereus sporogenes and Bacillus subtilis.
Fungi and Yeasts: Candida albicans, Absidia, Trichophtyonand Aspergilius (2%).
Viruses: Parainfluenze, influenza in birds, BVD, EVA, Lassa Fever, Maedi-visna, PRRS, madness and ‘snakehead’rhabovirus, RVT, TGE, rhinotracheitis in turkeys, bovine coronavirus, reovirus in birds, bovine rota, Gumboro, IPNV, IBR, bovine pseudocowpox, Marek, myxomatosis, Auyesky, Parvovirus, Andeno in birds and dogs, bovine PolymaCAV,mycoplasmas M gallisepticum and M hyorhinis.
- Potassium Monopersulfate (21.25%), and others;
- Water- soluble powder.
How to use
- To disinfect buildings and materials in farming and cattle breeding;
- Normal use 0.5% till 1%;
- Total disinfection 1% (cleaning prior to treatment);
- By contamination, irrigation: at least 30 minutes without flushing after disinfection;
- Solution is stable for at least seven days
Scrub remnants of mud off the boots, spray the boots with Virkon®S, leave this five minutes to dry and the material is ready to use. The material can be rinsed with tap water afterwards. Be careful in the proximity of open water (see also the textbox on hygiene protocol on www.ravon.nl)
1% = 10 grams to 1 liter.
Virkon®S is based on an oxidant and consists of organic and inorganic salts and breaks down into oxygen and salts. The components are classified as readily biodegradable according to the OECD and EU standard tests.
Impact on the nature
Swiss research has shown that is has no negative effect on zooplankton and tadpoles. “Virkon®S appears to be a disinfectant that can be used against Bd with no detectable negative effects on tadpoles and zooplankton.” Source: Amphibia-Reptilia 30(3):313-319 (2009)
Completely dry field materials for at least four hours.